Wednesday 21 November 2012

Review: Proactiv Solution


Just over a month ago I was in boots with my mum, and she stopped by the skincare section and picked this set up for £39.99 - we both acknowledge that my skin gets pretty bad so figured we'd try out a more expensive skincare product.

Proactiv Solution is a three-step skin treatment which you use twice a day. You start with the Renewing Cleanser, which you use by applying to a dampened face with your hands, and it cleans and exfoliates your skin. The second stage is the Revitalising Toner to sooth and balance the skin, which you saturate a cotton pad with and smooth over your face. Finally, there's the Repairing Treatment cream, designed to prevent breakouts, which you use a small amount of all over the face once the toner has dried.

All of the steps contain salicylic acid which (being a chemistry student who knows too much about these things) is a common skincare ingredient as it helps clear and prevent blemishes.

So, how has Proactiv worked for me? Well... I wish I had better things to say about it, I really do.

At first my skin seemed to get slightly worse, but I figured this was just the product 'purging' my skin - where it basically brings out the impurities from deep in your skin, meaning it has to get worse before it gets better. The spots brought out by this were cleared within another week or so, however after this my skin hasn't seemed to get much better than it originally was, just stopped it from getting worse - which the cheaper cleansers I was using before were doing anyway. So basically - I haven't seen the improvement I would have been hoping for at that price.

I have also found that Proactiv dries my skin out a lot. I was expecting the treatment cream at the end to act as a moisturiser as well but it does the complete opposite! I have to use a moisturiser after I've finished the three-step routine, and even then my skin still feels dry.

Finally, the box this came in advertised it as a 60 day set, and maybe I'm using too much but I've found this to be very optimistic. I've been using it for approximately 5 weeks, so about 35 days, and as you can see from the photo, I definitely don't have 25 days worth of toner left and I think I have even less of the repairing treatment cream.

I'm going to carry on using this until I use it up, but I don't think I'll be repurchasing it any time soon.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for any other skincare products I could use!


Laura xo

No comments:

Post a Comment